What Does Anxiety Feel Like?
What does anxiety feel like?
Common anxiety symptoms are:
- Feeling nervous, restless or tense
- Having a sense of impending danger, panic or doom
- Having an increased heart rate
- Breathing rapidly (hyperventilation)
- Feeling weak or tired
- Trouble concentrating or thinking about anything other than the present worry
- Having trouble sleeping
- Experiencing gastrointestinal (GI) problems
- Having difficulty controlling worry
- Having the urge to avoid things that trigger anxiety
What Causes Anxiety?
Anxiety can be caused by medical conditions, life experiences or traumatic events. You may notice that you worry about ordinary or routine events. Or perhaps you become uncomfortable in situations that make you feel trapped, embarrassed or judged by others. Anxiety can also be caused by misuse of drugs and medications. Children sometimes experience anxiety when speaking in certain situations or when there is separation from a parental figure.
Tips to Help Manage Anxiety:
- Get help early.
- Stay active.
- Avoid use of alcohol and drugs.
If you feel that you cannot manage your anxiety, contact a counselor for help! A counselor can help you establish and maintain healthy goals to manage your anxiety. The counselors at Jerry Walker Therapy Services are well trained in helping patients better handle their anxiety.